Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What a crazy day!

Unfortunately, this morning started very, very early, with Ann trying to get to the bathroom in the dark and slipping on the very-slippery floor around 4 am. She hit pretty hard, so we ended up at the hospital, where x-rays showed that she had broken her jaw. Apparently the German Hospital is the best around, and yet they told us that treatment here is to wire the jaw shut for a couple of weeks, whereas in the US it's possible to get it fixed somehow via surgery.
Therefore, this afternoon was spent dealing with cancelling appointments and getting Ann on the next flight home. We had amazing service from the folks at the Hyatt. They sent someone with us to the hospital, cleaned up the room while we were at the hospital, arranged Ann's new return flight, and helped us get the x-rays and medication. They also took Ann to the airport and helped her get an upgrade to first class at no charge.
I am so glad I was here to help her out today (although I wasn't quite as helpful as the Hyatt staff!), but I feel bad too, since our lightswitches in the room are really confusing, and therefore she opted not to try to fuss with them when she got up in the night, so that I could sleep. I suppose she could have just as easily fallen in the light, but I can't help but think she would have somehow caught herself when falling if it had been in an illuminated room... Of course, then there's the chance she would have messed up her wrist, I suppose.
Ah well.
We were lucky to have such great help and good care at the hospital. I am sure Andy will take good care of her when she gets home tomorrow morning.
Now I am on my own in Buenos Aires for a couple of days. I debated heading home early, but was easily able to find a new hotel (with Ann, our rooms were at hotels that she was reviewing, but without her I had no reason to stay there). I've spent the evening figuring out my plan of attack for the last couple of days, walking around a nearby "mall" and getting dinner. I can so totally handle this!
Backing up a bit, let me tell you about our last day together, since it was really nice.
We moved hotels to the Park Hyatt and then Ann had an appointment. I caught up on email and was able to chat online with Steve. I also took advantage of the wonderful soaking tub in our room. This is vacation, after all, so I didn't want to rush around the entire time!
I met Ann up in Palermo for lunch. It's a very hip area, full of boutiques and cafes. We found a great health-food cafe (in the front of a yoga studio) and had a wonderful, healthy lunch, which we were both craving after all of the fancy, late dinners. Then we shopped, shopped, shopped (don't worry, Steve, I didn't go nuts!).
We had a great evening back in the Recoleta neighborhood. The Park Hyatt has a wine bar with its own cheese cave (!), which we just *had* to check out. After all, it was important research for the article! The brie made here is really lovely. I'm not a huge brie fan, but we've had their local version twice now and it's so lovely!
After a rest in the room, it was time to head to dinner (did I mention before how absurdly late they eat here)?
We went to a very small (10 tables), romantic (!), and lovely little place called Nectarine, where we had an amazing meal. Apparently most of the meat on the menu is from the owner's estancia (ranch). I took their recommendations, which were for a starter of homemade spaghetti noodles with greens (minced chard + spinach, I believe) and mini meatballs, and then had the entree of suckling pig, which was the yummiest, moist little medallions of pork I've ever had. I tried their riskiest sounding dessert, which was also a winner: mascarpone and basil creme on an olive oil crust, served with sweet potato ice cream that was topped with lime foam. There were pumpkin seeds sprinkled on the plate. It was risky, but it worked.
Then we passed out happily and soundly for about 3 hours, before the "incident".
I am going to enjoy the soaking tub here, since I have to leave these 5-star accomodations in the morning.
Buenos Noches!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Ann! That sounds horrible, but, I'm glad that you had some great experiences beforehand. I love brie and am fondly thinking of your cheese cave.

.:DataWhat?:. said...

"the rooms are silly hip, with lots of white leather, gold trim and etched glass. And for some reason the floors are so polished that they are extremely slippery."

Such foreshadowing!