Unfortunately I am a complete gringo, an annoying American that is trying to get by with a "por favor" and a smile.
We had to move hotels today, so we're now at the Faena. It's not really our cup of tea: the rooms are silly hip, with lots of white leather, gold trim and etched glass. And for some reason the floors are so polished that they are extremely slippery. The library bar has a nice and relaxed look to it, though, and the spa looks amazing. Tomorrow we plan to check that out.
We had a post-hotel-switch coffee at the famous Cafe Tortoni, which is bustling and touristy, yet charming. Ann had to run off to appointments, and I took my time, lingering over one of their specialities: (hot) chocolate and churros (memo to Steve: churros hate you, too!).
While I was waiting for the bill there seemed to be some sort of ruckus on the street outside, and I started to see marchers of some sort going by whenever the door opened. Once I was ready to go, there wasn't anyone marching by anymore, but I could see a large gathering of people down the street, on the plaza in front of the Casa Rosada (their version of the White House).
I just *had* to see what was going on, so I headed down to the plaza, where it became apparent that it was some sort of religious occasion, with the crowd's attention on a stage in front of the cathedral, and lots of banners representing what appeared to be parochial schools and religious clubs. After about a minute (what timing on my part!), a priest of some sort, wearing a red skullcap (does that make him a bishop? Archbishop?) came out and started some sort of service. Despite my many years of Catholic masses, I was only really able to follow things a little bit when they did the Lord's Prayer. Other than that, I have no idea if it was a religious holiday, a blessing of some sort, an ordination, or some other occasion. Nonetheless, it was fascinating to watch.
I started to get a bit chilly (it's overcast and 55-60 today, and I was only wearing a light sweater since I was planning to museum hop all afternoon), so I walked a couple of blocks off of the square and caught a cab to MALBA.
MALBA is the modern art museum that is based off of one man's collection, and focuses on South American art, which I know nothing about. It's relatively modest in size, so I've already cruised through about 2/3 of it, and then decided to get a bite and some coffee here in their cafe.
I really enjoyed the temporary exhibit of the Brazilian female artist Tarsila do Amaral. The works are all focused on her travels between 1918-1933, and there are some wonderfully vivid pieces.
I'm off to finish the rest, then to meet up with Ann for a late afternoon drink.
Ciao!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment