Thursday, May 22, 2008

I couldn't find Ann at the airport, and it turns out I was given incorrect information about our flight arrivals: we were in separate terminals. However, we arrived at the hotel about 5 minutes apart, so things worked out in the end.

We didn't really have time to fully freshen up before her first appointment, which was lunch with the publicist at the Faena Universe, which we're staying at this weekend. We had a nice lunch at their Mercado restaurant (yummy empanadas!), and then toured the Phillipe Starck-designed "fantasy hotel". I hope it's even slightly warm while we're there, since the heated pool looks fantastic. We are having treatments (and maybe also attending a yoga class) at their spa on Sunday, which should be wonderful.

After that we went to Comme il Faut, which is a tango shoe store. They sit you down, ask you a few questions and then keep bringing you amazing high heels until you find some shoes that you love. What fun!

We needed a nap between shopping and our 10:30 pm dinner date, so we had what I'd call a "disco nap" (which Steve rightly corrected me about: here it's probably more of a tango nap). And then... The parilla!

We met up with one of Ann's contacts, who is a glamourous, reed-thin 47-year old Kabbalah fan. She took us out with her friend and the friend's model boyfriend (at least 20 years her junior!). It was like being out with the Maya Rudolph imitation of Donatella Versace, her silent (Spanish-speaking only) sidekick and Derek Zoolander. And then they brought us huge hunks of meat and Malbec.

I wish I could say the steak was the best I've ever had, but I do get to eat some pretty good food in the US, and my steak was a bit overcooked (so was Zoolander's: he sent it back). The atmosphere was great, though, and the heavy meal and jammy red wine was just what I needed to make me sleepy. I think they were somewhat bummed that we didn't end up going clubbing with them afterward (to Jet), but Ann and I are both excited about some shut-eye in fancy beds vs filthy American Airlines seats.

Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Sounds hot and glamorous!