Thursday, May 29, 2008

Today I packed up and moved out of our palatial room at the Park Hyatt. I was sad to leave, but it is a bit nice to be anonymous again: everyone at the Park Hyatt kept asking how Ann was and if I needed anything, since they all know it's my first time here.

I walked a bit more around the Recoleta neighborhood today, but it was a bit cold. I stopped in the largest bookstore in South America, which is in a former theater and is quite gorgeous. There is a cafe where the stage used to be, sections of books on the balconies, and little reading nooks in the opera boxes. I browsed through the maps and globes, checked out the photography books, and then discovered a bunch of bi-lingual books about Patagonia in the travel section. I bought a couple of them and am wondering if they will displace Greenland from my fascination for a spell...

I walked down Ave Santa Fe for a bit. It's a huge shopping area, but not particularly interesting. Lots of local chains and mid-range stuff. I bought a pair of socks, since I'm out and I want to wear my new boots home instead of packing them.

I had lunch at Olsen, which is a hip Scandinavian restaurant in Palermo. It was wonderful, and I think it would do extremely well in NY, SF or Chicago (I can only vouch for places I've lived!), and found myself wondering what it would be like to run a place like it. It's in a really neat high-ceiling-ed building, with a greenhouse-y sort of ceiling. The main seating area (there is also a small balcony) is anchored by a mod and towering wood burning stove, which was in full force today since it's very cold here (in the 40s). All of the walls are a gorgeous warm honey-colored wood and the furniture is all Scandinavian modern.

I ordered the lunch special fish entree, which came sprinkled with small citrus segments and breadcrumbs, and atop minced broccoli. It was served with some of the best potatoes I've ever had (didn't I just mention yesterday that I love potatoes?), and I had the noodle soup with it, which had really tiny noodles in a light broth with teeny-tiny shrimps and spinach. Sooooo good on a cold day!

Since Olsen is known for their lengthy list of vodkas, I couldn't resist getting a bloody mary (okay, so I had two. I *am* on vacation!). I was relaxed, full and happy when I was done with lunch.

Palermo is a great shopping area, so I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around, and then I checked into my new hotel, Legado Mitico, which is a small boutique hotel in Palermo where each of the rooms is themed after a famous Argentine historical person. I am in the La Arrabalera room, which is decorated after a famous tango dancer. It sounded like it had the potential to be gaudy, but it's really lovely. I'll definitely take a photo.

Now I'm heading back to the Hyatt to get my luggage, where it's been stored for the day. I've got dinner reservations at a Moroccan restaurant that's supposed to be really good, so I'll write more after that.

Ciao!

No comments: