The art exhibition was neat, but it would have been much more enjoyable if I wasn't alone. It's just not as much fun to be amazed about things when you're alone -- or to be snarky about how silly and pretentious something is!
I took a lot of photos, but now that I don't have a computer with me (I was using Ann's before) it is unlikely that I can download the photos off of my camera until I get home.
After the show, I went to the best steak restaurant in town, at least according to most of the guidebooks I've looked at and people we've talked to. All of them admit that it attracts a ton of tourists, but it was worth not caring about that: this dinner was the best steak I've ever had, by far.
I believe my parents read this blog, and they can tell you: I was not a huge steak eater growing up, and that really hasn't changed over time. I usually love the baked potato as much as the steak, and put lots of effort into carving the fat off of the end of the steak. I usually use my caveman knife grip (which Steve can probably imitate for you, if you haven't seen me do it. I really do need to learn to use my silverware properly...) to hack at the steak to get it into small pieces. Well, this was a completely different story: the steak was so tender it barely needed a knife. I read in one guidebook that you could eat it with a spoon, and while I'm not sure if that would be a good experience, I can see what they mean, since all you need the knife for is to gently suggest to the fibers of meat that they should fall apart. And although the baked potato was good (and it came with bacon on top of the huge pile of sour cream - of course), I didn't really want to waste stomach space on it or on the side salad I ordered (which was perfectly fine: lovely lettuce with tomatoes and onions on it, in a balsamic viniagrette that was mixed tableside).
I don't think the tables around me were tourists: they were all speaking Spanish (and yes, I realize that there could easily be lots of Spanish-speaking tourists in BA), and most were dressed in business attire. Because it's expensive for a steak restaurant here, I guess it probably makes sense that it's most popular with tourists or for business meals.
It doesn't matter to me who was at the tables next to me, or what the reputation of the place is: if you are in BA anytime soon, go to Las Lilas, and go hungry!
Goodnight, amigos!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment