Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rex!

He's here! And he's gorgeous.
I'll have to post my labor story at some point (although I will definitely make it safe for squeamish readers), today I'll just give a little update.
Rex was born via C-section on Sunday morning at 4:34 am, almost exactly 24 hours after my first labor symptoms. He's on the tinier side, weighing in at 6 pounds, 3 ounces at birth. He was 19 3/4 inches in length. I was just about the same size. I think my mom said that I was 6 pounds 4 ounces and 21 inches (mom, feel free to correct me here with a comment on this post).
He was very tired his first day, but managed to still charm a bunch of fabulous friends that were kind enough to come and visit us at the hospital. He's been having trouble feeding, though, which has become a bit more of a problem as he's gotten "older".
The first day or so, he's expected to sleep a lot. After that they want him to be feeeding every 3 hours or less. He seems to have a good latching instinct, but soon after latching he gets either distracted (oooh! Lots going on out here outside the womb!) or sleepy. Therefore he's not getting enough to eat, so feedings are taking lots of time each time, and are as often as every hour and a half.
This morning I had a mini-meltdown. Rex wasn't feeding well and yet kept trying off-and-on for a number of hours. Every time he'd seem like he was done trying and ready for sleep I'd get him swaddled and in his crib and then he'd cry again. It was sooooo frustrating! The nurse was about an hour late with my pain meds, so that just added to the drama. When Steve got up I was just about in tears. Luckily at that point there was a nursing shift change, they brought my meds, and the new nurse helped me use a pump to get some food in him. Then Rex and I were both able to get some shuteye.
Things have gone better since then. We've had two really good feedings, taken some naps and we've both got bellies full of yummy stuff (Steve went out and bought me some gourmet goodies at AG Ferrari, an Italian market across the street).
Now we're chilling out together. He's lying on me while I type this on my bberry with my tumbs of fury...
Keep your fingers crossed for us that we'll stay on this positive path!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The woes of motherhood! It sounds like you are having some fun and some fury. I hope everything stays positive. Cry if you want to I say!
--Sarah Rosaen