well, this has never happened to me before...
i was at dinner with a colleague (aka business friend) and the waiter spilled half a bottle of (pretty expensive) wine all over me. my shirt-front and lap were SOAKED. i had no idea what to ask for, and the red-faced waiter was clearly ready to do pretty much anything (he pretty seriously offered to even let me somehow borrow his pants to get home -- which i declined in favor of wearing an apron over my stained pants).
what should i have asked for?
i got the bottle of wine comp'ed (as well as dessert and coffee), and am taking in my dry cleaning bill.
did i wuss out? should i have aimed for free dinner? originally they only offered the wine -- was that sufficient?
argh.
i must go now. steve says i smell like cabernet...
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Nah, you done right.
Having them cover your booze and dry cleaning is sufficient.
Attention world: Stop suing everybody, don't ask for damages, don't milk another human soul for all they are worth.
I just read about a woman who found a piece of mussel shell in her mussels marinara in a seafood restaurant and wanted to sue for nearly a million dollars in damages.
You're one of the good ones, kid.
Coming from a former waitress, I would have offered to comp your whole dinner, as well as the drycleaning. This is something that happens to resturants.
I once spilled a pitcher of ice cold water down a woman's back. The manager had no problem offering the comp.
Just my 2 cents
I would say that if the dry cleaning doesn't get the stains out, that the restaurant should pay for the damaged clothes. I agree with Zac about suing for pointless shit being stupid, but I don't think it would have out of the question for the restaurant to comp your dinner too.
Erin M
I agree with Zac that most people in the US try to get outrageous compensation for small inconveniences. On the other hand, I don't think that it is out of the question for the restaurant to comp your dinner as well. Not the whole bill or your guest food, just yours. Also, if the dry cleaners is not able to remove all of the stain, I think that the restaurant should pay to replace your clothes.
Erin M.
Post a Comment