Monday, April 11, 2005

i don't know if you know this, but one of my favorite things to have as a late night snack is Nestle Quik chocolate milk. i can't get into the Hershey's syrup thing, but the powdery "NesQuik" stuff is wonderful. yummy and chocolately like a dessert, but less filling.

so i'm reading this book with my bookclub. it's about bhutan, which is a fascinating place. and the author's experience (and telling of it) is pretty engrossing. but what's really stuck with me the most, so far, is the following passage, where the author (who is a canadian teaching in bhutan) is speaking with one of her students:
"I remember the day I got my own library card and checked out ten fat children's classics, I tell him, discomfited at the gap between our worlds. He is not disconcerted at all, and plunges into the gap, and we end up debating the most fitting symbol of decadence. A TV in every room in the house, I say. Imelda Marcos's shoe collection.
"Chocolate milk," he says.
"Chocolate milk? How do you even know about chocolate milk?"
"From an ad in a magazine. When I saw that, I thought, it's not enough to have milk? A whole bottle of milk is not enough? People have to add chocolate to it?"


---
damn skippy, they do!

No comments: